Lean methods provide the tools to reduce wasted or non value adding activities, reduce time and save process costs while increasing customer satisfaction.
Lean is a systematic approach to identifying and eliminating waste
Identified non-value added activities are eliminated using continuous improvement by flowing the product at the pull of the consumer
Lean grew out of the efforts of James Womack, Daniel Jones, and others. It is just as applicable to service processes as it is to manufacturing processes.
SOME LEAN TOOLS:
• VALUE STREAM MAPPING—Usually employed to evaluate processes for improvement potential and define projects needed for realizing that potential.
• 5S— A systematic approached to organizing the workplace through Sorting, Setting in Order, Shining, Standardizing, and Sustaining a clean, efficient work area
• VISUAL CONTROLS – Simple signs that provide an immediate understanding of a situation or condition such as special graphics, lights, color codes, and Kanban cards
• QUICK CHANGEOVER - The ability to rapidly change critical equipment and processes to achieve one piece flow with minimal loss of productivity
• STANDARDIZED WORK - All tasks are organized in the best sequence with all possible wastes eliminated.
• PLANT LAYIUT & CELL DESIGN—The processes are laid out in such a manner to fully support flow. Buffers and supermarkets are added as needed.
• PULL - The process is driven by the customers needs not by a forced production schedule.
• TAKT TIME—The amount of time required to produce at the customers demand rate
Using the appropriate lean tools, DRS will evaluate your service or process to achieve optimum savings, at the highest quality level to satisfy your customers
By combining the power of Lean and Six Sigma in one initiative you can save ma much time and effort and multiply the effects of your improvement efforts.. Lean tools are most effective on the the front end of the implementation effort to review the overall process and streamline it before applying the more technically rigorous Six Sigma statistical measurements and tools to improve quality and reduce variation. This is why so many companies have linked these efforts. Let us show you how.